Situation: one of the world’s leading international airports
Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport also known as ‘Roissy’, is one of the world’s largest airports with 60,970,551 passengers and 514,059 aircraft movements handled in 2011. Covering 12.50 sq miles and including three terminals and multiple levels, Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport is the world’s sixth busiest airport and Europe’s second busiest airport in terms of passengers served.
Challenge: to improve traveller experience
Given the large size and complexity of the airport along with increasing passenger traffic, a major priority was to help travelers find their way around the airport easily without getting lost.
In addition, to optimize its image as a world first hub and leverage its edge as the provider of excellent quality, innovative airport services and products, CDG was committed to introducing new geolocation based services to improve the overall passenger experience and in particular to satisfy the exacting needs of frequent business travelers.
CDG was looking for a cost effective, accurate, easy-to-deploy Smartphone embedded indoor positioning service to satisfy these requirements.
The Pole Star indoor positioning solution
NAO Campus, the Pole Star indoor positioning solution, initially deployed on a test basis at Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, now covers most terminals and a total of 6.5 million square feet on four levels. The NAO Campus powered Smartphone application, My Way Aeroports de Paris, is available at no cost to some 60,970,551 passengers.
Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport is the first venue in the world to offer indoor location service over such a large area and in such a complex environment.
Results: vastly improved traveller services
Today, thanks to deployment of the Pole Star indoor positioning service, Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport offers visitors parking lot to boarding gate, turn-by-turn guidance anywhere in the airport.
In short, the NAO Campus powered mobile application, My Way Aéroports de Paris, is making life easier for its Smartphone equipped 61 million travelers with a whole new level of service including:
- A 3D interactive map showing all services, terminal gates and shops.
- Visual and vocal turn-by-turn guidance in English and French, giving the shortest path with distance to the selected point of interest.
- Personalized access for mobility impaired passengers.
The My Way Aeroports de Paris application has been designed to integrate other functions such as location-aware, customer profile driven couponing and promotions as well as social media options.
About NAO Campus: the benchmark in indoor positioning, deployed worldwide
- Maximum service availability: over 43 million square feet of indoor coverage worldwide, Android and iPhone compatible
- Supremely accurate positioning: in even the most complex indoor environment
- Adaptability: a hybrid technology combining GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Low Energy and motion sensors to adapt to all environments and existing networks
- Performance: real-time positioning without any network connection and low power consumption
- Scalability: high performance tool suite for fast, easy, multi-venue deployment